Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, June 21, 2018

I'm Tripping', Man!

One Saturday, I'll be getting up early and hitting the road for Mercer, PA, childhood home of Trent Reznor (9InchNails), and current home to my mom, my sister and her her family. Unlike last year, when I took a leisurely 4 days in each direction, I need to make some miles, every day, and try to get to Mercer in 3 days. In fact, I am shooting at getting to Columbus, Ohio, in two, so that I can spend some time with my old friends, the Robertsons.

That means that I need to average about 750 miles per day (maybe a little more, since I am not taking the direct I-70 route). I usually take US 36 across Kansas and Missouri, then turn south to US 50 in order to pass through Bloomington, Indiana. But, I'm going to have to miss Bloomington, on the way, in order to get to Mercer on Monday. So, I am not totally sure of my route across Illinois and Indiana.

Why the hurry? Well, while I am out there, my sister and I are going to jump in her car and drive to Vermont, to visit my older nephew, Kyle, who is teaching at a Summer music program. That will take about three days out of the 8 days I will be there (if I make it there in 3...).

The tank bag is it, for luggage, this year.

It's Blitzkrieg time! I'm traveling light, and planning on staying in a motel on Saturday, then with the Robertsons on Sunday. No camping equipment, or guitars or anything other than ranger, tools and a bare minimum of clothes for the road. I have clothes at my sister's house, and I'll buy anything I need and don't have with me, once I'm there.

It should be an adventure.


In the meantime, I host Open Mic night at the Englewood Grill, tonight. Tomorrow, I need to mow my yard and take care of a few things around the house, to get it ready for the dog-sitters.

Plus, I need to finalize my route, I suppose!

Then, early to bed (yeah, right!), and up on Saturday before the sun.

I'll post from the road, as much as possible, from my Kindle Fire.


x

5 Comments:

At 6:58 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Safe travels, Jon! We'll miss seeing you this time. The excursion to visit the nephew sounds like fun! We're very pro-nephew in these parts. :)

 
At 7:33 AM , Anonymous Joy Strain said...

Take your time getting here -- we may do the Vermont trip in two days and it will be Wed or Thursday at the earliest -- don't push too hard - we'd rather see you safe than soon!

 
At 8:28 PM , Blogger Pondero said...

As you know, these road trips fascinate me. So be safe, enjoy the ride, and keep us entertained!

 
At 3:23 PM , Blogger Noah said...

Having just driven The BattleVan 750 miles for an overnight all-in-one-trip move to Austin from KC to relocate for work, I can only imagine what it's like trying to make that trip when you're not piloting a Couch On Wheels. Keep the shiny side up, brother!

 
At 9:33 AM , Anonymous Jon said...

Thanks, everybody!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home