Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, October 01, 2014

Denver DGR 2014: Part The First

I was agog at the cool bikes which showed up for the ride, Sunday. I took over 70 photos of them, some better than others. Here are some of my favorites:

My bike is right behind that red car.







It was impossible to get a sense of scale, in a single photo. The official bike count for the day was 209!

 That included everything from old-school choppers to...

...GoldWing muscle bikes.




I loved this thumper. It ran strong, throughout the day, and sounded fantastic.

 A pretty unique CB-450 Honda



One of my all-time favorite Japanese bikes, the Yamaha XS-650. I have owned 5 of these!

 I like these mid-1960s Honda Scramblers.

 But, I love these first-generation 450 twins!

 Kenny Roberts signature Yamaha RD-400!

 King Kenny was a hero of mine, back in the day (still is). He was one of the pioneers of the modern style of motorcycle racing, and seeing him hanging off of the side of his bike in the turns was a thrill. These two-stroke bikes take me back to those days.

Another RD...

 The parking lot at Red Rocks Amphitheater, where we gathered for our first stop.

 This bike seriously outguns the Ducati Hypermotard in the "cool" department, IMHO.

 The Widow Maker ... 750cc of two-stroke madness. Too bad that the suspension and chassis didn't match the performance of the motor, in these bikes. Still, it's bad and beautiful, 40 years after the fact.

Cleaning the plugs, during a ride, is one of the facets of the two-stroke experience which I don't miss.

Stay tuned for our next installment, in which 200 motorcycles descend on the Denver City and County Building!


x

1 Comments:

At 9:04 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

Wow,
You captured some incredible bikes!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home