Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Thursday, April 02, 2009

Dumpster Find

"Dumpster Find" That's always a phrase which always engenders envy on my part. Living in Denver, where people seem to be pretty hip to the fact that old bikes are sellable, I find that most people don't put them out on the curb, or in the rubbish bin. Usually, they end up on Craigslist, with a "vintage bike" tag (and price).
-
Recently, however, I came upon this in the trash (clicky for BIG):

It's a 1981 Schwinn Cruiser 5. Unfortunately, the chainguard is missing in action.


But it does have a rear drum brake!

Now, the only question is, "What do I do with it?"
-
Should I just replace the front tube, clean and adjust it, then sell it on? Pretty much anything I get for it will be profit (minus my time and a tube).
-
Or, and this is my weakness, do I lace on some alloy rims (using the front drum-brake hub I have out in the shop), install one of these, and a better derailleur/shifter? Then, I would have a very useable bike, but one which would probably be impossible to sell at a profit.
-
But it would be so cool!
-
Addictions are never pretty...
-
x

3 Comments:

At 11:11 AM , Blogger Noah said...

As I find myself in the middle of a dumpster-find refurb (although someone else found it and I'm doing the refurb), I say only INVEST in it. If there's a part you can buy that provides dramatically more than face value when it's put on the bike, go for it.

 
At 11:45 AM , Blogger Jon said...

I have to 'fess up: The fork is already on order.

 
At 10:53 PM , Blogger Doohickie said...

Great find!

I found this Raleigh Marathon in a dumpster just before Christmas. The hubs were terrible; it barely rolled. I slapped some wheels on it from a bike I had wrecked and it ran great. Eventually I cleaned up the hubs and put the original wheels back on.

The find was lucky because shortly after that I found out the cranks on my primary commuter bike were bad and needed to be replaced (under a Shimano recall). The bike shop I use was not a Shimano dealer, but I told them I would wait until they were. In the meantime, I commuted on the Marathon... for the three months it took Shimano to certify them as a bike shop!

I got my main bike back, but I like the Marathon (aka "Dumpster Queen") so much I plan I riding it to work tomorrow, just for the heck of it.

I love dumpster finds!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home