Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Changing Weather

The only weather more confusing than Springtime In The Rockies is Autumn In the Rockies. As of Saturday, it was warm enough that my yard snakes were swimming around in the fountain. Sunday, the weather went south, and I had a wet, cold commute on Monday morning.

Since it was raining when I left the house, I put my phone, wallet and pocket notebook in some high-tech protective pouches:


I buy them in boxes of 200 at the grocery store. 

Oddly, ZipLoc bags are touchscreen-friendly. You can actually text while the phone is in the bag.

It was not only raining, but it was also 44 degrees (F) when I rolled out. So, I was dressed for it, including my old shoe covers. I have had these for about 10 years, and I keep repairing them. I put a new zipper in one, and I have sewed up various splits and separations over the past couple of years. Apparently, there is no one making shoe covers like these, nowadays (full coverage, a walkable sole with no precut cleat hole, heavy duty neoprene and a rear zipper), or I would just buy a new pair!


Today, I rode home at 63 degrees, in a long-sleeve base layer and a sport t-shirt, shorts and no tights! Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer still.

 Messy Kitchens Are Us!

Last week, I transferred the Carradice bag from the Funk onto the Faux Surly, and I have been commuting on it. The big tires require a bit more effort for acceleration/climbing, and I hope that jump-starts my fitness, a bit. Plus, I just love this bike.

I have posted in detail about this build in the past, but some points bear repeating. It is definitely one of those "the sum is greater than the total of its parts" sort of bike. The frame came from Amazon for $139.00 (they are currently listed at $102.43), and most of the parts came from the parts bins in my shop building. (I did buy the handlebar specifically for this bike.)

The fork is from a Surly Karate Monkey. It has no clearance problems with the 27.5x3.00 tire. I could only get a 2.5" rear tire between the chainstays of the frame, though. That's why I bought my Bikes Direct 27.5+ adventure bike.

I've not been on the singletrack with the Faux Surly, yet, but I think I may fix that this weekend.

Stay tuned.

x

2 Comments:

At 11:51 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Jon, my name is Dillon. I was trying to figure out how to contact you, but I couldn't find a good way other than this, so I apologize but I'm not writing in reference to this particular blog. Actually I'm writing about one from a long time ago, it had to do with you rebuilding and modifying an old Raines Guitar in the shape of a Telecaster. I now own THAT SAME GUITAR! I bought it from guitar center and have been trying to figure out any information on it, but was unsuccessful. Then, years later, I see your blog about and I had to tell you! I love the guitar, it sounds wonderful and I knew someone skilled HAD to have modified it.

 
At 12:45 PM , Blogger Jon said...

Dillon, I'm glad you are enjoying the guitar. I thought it came out really nice, myself. If you want, hit me up on Facebook and we can talk music and guitars, sometime. I'd b interested to hear how you are using the axe.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home