Two Wheels - Six Strings

Random news and thoughts about various two-wheeled projects and music, especially my band, Skull Full Of Blues.

Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Fun Bike Commute

Frozen mustache - Gotta love a headwind!


It was 8 degrees (F) when I left the house, this morning, and it was snowing. When I rode home, it was, again, 8 degrees and snowing (after hitting a high of a balmy 10 degrees). For you Centigraders (Celsiusites?) out there, that's -13C when I was riding, and -12C for a high.

The roads were snowy, rather than icy, and the fat bike worked like a charm on the ride. I was even slower than usual, and it took me an hour to get home, tonight (9 miles). But, I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and that is the best thing that can happen on a commute.

I had forgotten how much I enjoy these snowy, cold rides. Tomorrow, the temperature is supposed to be below zero, in the morning. I look forward to it. I think of it as Adventure Commuting, which makes you feel like you are meeting a challenge head on. Sunny warm commutes are just a bike ride, in comparison...


x

4 Comments:

At 6:11 AM , Blogger Pondero said...

Here's a hearty Texas salute for you! I guess most of us down here down own clothing to work in those conditions. Or maybe there's mental barrier I just haven't crossed yet. We expect temps down in the teens on Saturday morning. I might try to get out on the bike for a few minutes. Or I might wait for warmer weather.

 
At 4:28 PM , Blogger G.E. said...

I'm so impressed that your glasses aren't fogged! I never seem to be able to figure out how to keep that from happening (though my swimmer friends tell me to put water on them - but that just seems like a good way to get them stuck to my face, or create frost bite). Hope today's ride was even better. :O)

 
At 8:42 PM , Blogger Jerome said...

There is a certain kind of fun to be had in the cold that's different than anything else isn't there? Almost a sense of conquer just from being in it longer than from the house to the car.

Ride on friend, ride on.

 
At 6:31 PM , Blogger LvilleTex said...

Can't deny. That's sort of cold.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home